Friday, June 5, 2009

SHABBAT SHALOM 5 June 2009

It's almost 9 p.m. here and the sun is STILL shining! We just finished our Shabbat meal and prayed for all of you! God is SO good!

So, the air conditioners are in - really odd too. A little bitsy thang hangs inside and a huger thang hangs outside. They drilled an ENORMOUS hole in the concrete wall and when the guys were getting ready to hang up the outside thang, the landlord's sister drove up. She pitched a LOUD woolie fit! One of the a/c techs was a Greek/Canadian who spoke beautiful English and he told me she didn't want the big thang visible from the street! So, it is now bolted to the floor of the balcony!! The smaller a/c is in the Prophet's Chamber and it's big thang is on the ROOF! Strange, eh? We don't even NEED a/c yet - it's still cool to the point of being chilly at night!

The painter was supposed to start after 5 today. BUT I went out on the Prophet's Chamber balcony to shut the screen and saw Kyria Olga (the landlord's mama). She asked me (all in Greek) how I was and I said GREAT! Then I told her in sign language what I thought was "I'm sleepy" - strange that the painter didn't come at all! Guess she thought we were going to take a nap - at 6 in the evening? OH MY!BUT the good news is - tomorrow we're leaving for Keffalonia! We're going to stay 2 days and 1 night (Tori - we're planning to take YOU there) - this is the island where Captain Correlli's Mandolin was filmed! Cannot WAIT!

Okay - that's enough - I've got to go take a shower before Glen gets all the hot water. We have solar panels on the roof but when it's rainy or cloudy, there's not much hot water. We do have a switch that turns on the water heater but I usually don't do that cause it's BOILING hot! But I've had a cold shower the last few nights cause Poppy got to the water first - listen carefully and I'll bet you can hear him howl!

(EDITOR'S NOTE) It is now 9 a.m. Saturday (6 June) and I just have to addendumize this post! We had NO WATER last night - what an experience to be in a country where you can't speak the language and have this problem. We went to bed filthy - dirty, sandy feet (oh did I mention the DUST that pours into this wonderfully airy place???) - left the sink in Glen's loo open. Sometime in the night, the water returned - halleluiah!

So, now we're scurrying to get off and guess what - the painter is ON THE ROOF scraping! We're leaving anyhoo. More later - with PICTURES!

No comments:

Here's why we're in Greece!

Here's why we're in Greece!
August 2009

The Real me!