Sunday, August 9, 2009

Stardate 9 August 2009

Well now - here we are again! I just wanted to update the update and tell you that Zakynthos IS my new favorite place! I've not seen anything so gorgeous ever - and you will just have to look on my Facebook page to see proof.

We took an excursion to the Shipwreck Island - and I jumped off the back of the boat and swam/snorkeled in aqua/turquoise water - AMAZING! It was SOOOOO deep - we couldn't see anything really cause (1) it was freezing and our masks kept fogging up; (2) there were so many tour boats in and out that it was stirring up the water too badly. We were told that the ship wrecked in 1982 - supposedly a Turkish ship smuggling something and it ran into trouble. The guide told us that there was an earthquake (surprise - this IS Greece) and it actually spilled rocks into the sea and created the beach! The ship was on the "sand" - and we just putted up in our little boat and swam for about 40 minutes. It was a breathtaking ride out - past cliffs and caves and the deepest dark blue water I've ever seen. When we got into the shipwreck cove, the dark blue turned to pale aqua - awesome!

Then back to sea - backtracking to the famous Blue Caves. He took the boat right INSIDE one of the caves and turned it round so we could all have a look at the glowing deep blue water. Then we went through some holes in the rocks to another little cove and he stopped the boat so everyone could swim again. I decided one jump off the back and a climb back in on a ladder just barely wide enough for my feet was quite enough for one day. I'm SOOOO sorry I didn't get in - Tori and Glen said it was amazing snorkling. I did notice that a HUGE tour boat from Zakynthos Town had a RAMP which they let down into the water for people to just walk in and walk back. NEXT TIME!

We took Tori to the Windmill Taverna for her birthday - sat beside open windows and watched the sunset and a huge moon come up. It was a magical moment - she said it was her best birthday ever so we'll have to outdo this NEXT TIME!

This past weekend, we drove across the largest suspension bridge in existence (it connects the Peloponnese to the mainland of Greece) and up into AMAZING mountains to Delphi - the home of the famous oracle of Delphi. Tori and Glen went up on the mountain where the original site of Apollo's temple stood. I opted out of that climb (we will go back in cooler weather and I will see it and take photos) and instead, toured the museum - amazing things in there. Photos will be on Facebook tomorrow!

After Delphi, we continued UP and UP and UP until we got to Thermopylae - the site of Leonidas and the 300's final battle with the Persians. Tori wanted a photo with the statue - only he was up on a VERY tall column. We took pictures nonetheless. Then we drove back down to sea level to a village where Glen stayed years ago while working at the base. We had possibly THE worst meal ever in our lives on the yuckiest beachfront in history. REALLY!

We ordered souvlakis (sticks of meat like kebabs), fries, salad and water. The "beach" looked like a sick mulch from all the junk falling from the trees and it did NOT smell good. The waiter was rude. The fries were COLD. AND ... worst of all ... because of our rude waiter, we forgot to specify CHICKEN and we got PORK! (Glen and I are eating kosher - have been for MONTHS - and this was too disgusting for words!) We were stuck with it and we were all 3 starving - so we prayed for forgiveness and started eating. ALL of us had tummy issues!

But today - we had a wondrous swim in our Sunday beach and an incredibly yummy meal of meatballs, potatoes, Greek salad, stuffed peppers - it more than made up for the experience! Tori had her last swim in the wondrous Ionian Sea - till next year.

Tonight we're making Poppy suffer through the Princess Bride movie - and eating lots of watermelon. Tomorrow is packing, washing clothes and last minute shopping. And Tuesday, we take Tori to the airport and she heads back to Tulsa to start school. I'm SORELY going to miss this girl!

Please keep praying for us - it is SO HARD not to have a church! We still don't have internet access (to high speed, I mean) so we can't even watch our church in Texas on stream. There is not an international community here like the one in Crete - so there's lots to do - I just don't know where to start!

So, for now - that's all folks!

No comments:

Here's why we're in Greece!

Here's why we're in Greece!
August 2009

The Real me!