What a glorious Sunday! We stayed in Patras today (21 March) so that we could attend the CPM (Central Pentecostal Mission - I think) one more time before home leave. The guys are from (mostly) Nigeria and other African countries and are what I affectionaly call the "DVD guys." They came here with big promises of work and now find themselves with no "papers" to give them official rights - and other minor things like being able to leave to go home and visit family and then return - and are selling pirated DVDs and CDs all around the country. In the first few months of living here, I met Tony - and his brother Tony! This is Tony One!

When I mentioned "church," he said "CHURCH? You go to church? Where?" And I thought we were the only Christians here! It was a few months before we got to visit their fellowship but now we are part of their family.
Someone comes from Athens to preach (sometimes) but for the most part, they do their own service. Kevin is the one who teaches the Sunday school lesson and today, he even preached!
Kevin's lesson touched us both deeply. At Starbuck's afterwards, we were both still talking about the depth of this young man's faith - and his knowledge of the Word. He didn't even have a BIBLE of his own (but we took them TEN today) and just had his notes roughly written in a tablet. We think maybe he hasn't access to concordances, commentaries, etc. - this was just a Holy Spirit lesson. His text was about Naaman the leper and the little Hebrew slave girl - who isn't even named. We've heard countless sermons on this text - expounding on Naaman's lack of faith - the girl's faith in the God of Israel - the prophet's strange commandments, etc. But neither of us had EVER heard - or even thought about - Kevin's point: we are ALL a link to somebody's miracle!
He talked about how the little girl probably asked herself "why me? Why did I have to get taken? What am I doing in this heathen country?!" Kevin asked the guys if they had ever asked themselves "why did I have to come here? What am I doing in GREECE?" That was the point where Glen's tears started falling. We were SO touched! To think that this little Hebrew slave - being in the place she was "at such a time as that" - was the link to bring divine healing to Naaman the Syrian commander! He referenced Daniel in the lion's den, Shadrach and the boys, Esther, Joseph - all without referring to notes - just from his heart.
I went to ORU. I've heard the best of the best. But this little guy touched our hearts like nobody's business! And when the message was over, he asked them to pray for US! OH MY GOODNESS! Just yesterday we were taking sandwiches and a cup of cold water to the "least of these" - and now today, we're being prayed for by the CPM guys! God is SO amazing!

Glen and I have been truly blessed by these young men. They are in this country alone, working in jobs that are surely NOT what they have been promised - but their faith in God has made them a cut above most of the people in our land! In this photo, Kevin (father of 4, holding a Master's degree in Nigeria) is in the red shirt on the right.

They asked me to play keyboard - what a HOOT! There is no music. No charts. No designated leader. No plan. They just open their hearts and mouths and SING! Here, Stanley is playing bass and Benjamin on drums. Benjamin has a very nice (and LOUD) voice and can reasonably stay on pitch. But mostly, they just take off singing - and sometimes I find that I actually do know the song. The trouble comes in this - because of the loud singing in this small room and the close proximity of the DRUMS, I cannot hear the speakers on their keyboard. Thus, I have no earthly idea what key I'm playing in. And Stanley doesn't know a thing about music. He will tell me "C! C!" but we're actually playing in Eb! OH WELL - we're making a joyful noise and I LOVE IT!

They continue to play/sing during the prayertime so we just did our own thing. I took off on some old worship songs and Stanley thumped along. Sometimes Benjamin knew the song and would shout EH and then sing! I love it!

I love the African outfit on the guy on the left - you should have seen his shoes! When I lived in Hong Kong, I was always stopping to gape at the GORGEOUS outfits on the African women - wow do they love color! It's a beautiful contrast to this land of mostly all black clothing!

I made some coconut oatmeal cookies and the guys are tucking in here. Kevin can't decide if he wants to sing or eat!

The Sunday school lesson started at 10:30 (ish) - the worship started somewhere around 11:45 and lasted til after 1:00. Here, we're now learning some of "my kind" of music - LONG after church has finished!

Glen is sitting with some of the guys.

No - he's NOT proposing! He just wanted to get in the action - and somebody took the camera!

This is Tony Two with Glen - he is a cutie pie for SURE!

And then there's Benjamin. He's just shaved off all his hair for the summer - that dazzling, ever-present smile - he is SO precious!

I grew up in the Baptist church. At our altar calls, there were basically only 3 "options." 1. Salvation. 2. Rededication because of some horrific backsliding or sin. and 3. Surrender for full time service - aka foreign missions.
Not knowing that walking the aisle at the age of 6 does not ALWAYS guarantee a genuine salvation experience, I would feel a tug in my heart and quickly run thru my options. 1. Can't be this - I'm already "saved." 2. NEVER in my wildest dreams would I walk a public aisle and let people know I was not perfect. SO ... I cannot TELL you how many times I surrendered my life for foreign missions. One day I "woke up" and kept telling God ... "PLEASE don't send me to Africa!"

TELL ME GOD DOESN'T HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR! He sent Africa to ME!

All things DO work together for good to those that love God and are called according to HIS purpose! We haven't heard the last of this little fellowship, I promise!
No comments:
Post a Comment