Tuesday, September 29, 2009

STAR DATE 29 September 2009

Kali Spera (good afternoon)!
What a FUN couple of weeks we have had! First of all, the "invasion" of Abu Dhabi took place over a week ago - 8 friends from our church came for a week. We took both cars to Athens to meet them and then turned around and drove back - right past our home and straight to the ferry. We took them to Zakynthos - where we took Tori - and had a blast! The weather was a bit too coolish for all of us to enjoy the pool but the 4 youngest entertained themselves and us with CARDS! And our trip to the Shipwreck and Blue Caves was just awesome. The waves were too high to make it around to the shipwreck, so our boat operator took us in the opposite direction -- to LUNCH! AND this time, I got in the water and did some snorkeling inside a cave - brave me! (And lots of singing "Mamma Mia, here I go again. My my - how can I resist ya!")

The Kenneys and Hildebrands arrived on a Friday and left on a Friday. The last 3 days, Glen had to go back to work (dang bad luck, eh) so Jeff did the chauffering in Glen's little car. We took both cars back to the airport and left Glen's car with the lease guy who washed and serviced it for us - we picked it up on Sunday after church!

Our church continues to be such a blessing to us. We found out from Pastor Rick that some of the refugee guys have nothing else to eat but the few cookies they get from what I bring on Sunday. So this past week, I made a double batch of M&M cookies - chocolate chips don't exist here. They were a HUGE hit! I'm thinking of making some Anne-Mi muffins for this week - much healthier! We are growing to love this little fellowship and getting to know the individual members of the "body." There is a young Iranian couple with 2 month old twins. When they became believers, they were of course persecuted - and most of their family were killed. So they are new parents, refugees and ... needy! The twins are just precious - a boy and a girl - and I'm already doing the "GiGi" thing!

Yesterday was BIG NEWS DAY! We finally got our internet installed at home - so our Vonage phone is now working. Our Texas number is 817 886 8472 - but remember before you phone, we are 8 hours ahead of Texas - AHEAD! As in - if it's morning for you, it's nighttime for us and vice versa. We are quite grumpy if awakened at 3 a.m. by a sweet voice saying "oops - forgot about the time difference!" I just got off the phone with our sweet Yvonne - she and Sergio are minding our house for us while we're away! SO GOOD to hear a voice coming thru this phone!

SO TODAY - I was able to hook the laptop up to the television and watch the Yom Kippur service from our church in Dallas! What an AWESOME blessing - and to know that this time last year, we were newbie members! Sitting here in my chair in Greece, I am shouting at the telly - "there's Maurice and Rosie! There's Minnie and Dale! There's Lucy and Don! There's Sarah!" and on and on and on!

AND we got an unexpected blessing - I'd been trying to purchase a Greek map for our TomTom GPS for weeks and weeks. The internet cafe is NOT a good place to do this kind of business - and when I tried, there was such a mess with our ATM card that I just gave up. So yesterday, I tried from our own computer - but the website would NOT let me put in my billing address the way the bank would recognize it. So, of course, the transaction was denied. When I phoned and tried to explain this mess to the young man at Tom Tom, he told me that they were going to GIVE US the map - over $65! YEAH - happy birthday Glen!
Today I went to town with Marsha and we did some baby shopping for the twins. There's a baby shop in Patras - the owner is from LUBBOCK, TEXAS! He's a Red Raider! Born in a mountain village in Greece but lived over 20 years in Lubbock. God is good! I got these little babies some soft squishy TOYS! Enough practical stuff - I wanted them to have some foo foo things - and Marsha even bought them little stuffed animals on wrist bracelets. It's a piece of wide elastic and when they wave their little wrists around, the animals rattle. Can't wait to get a picture of them with their toys.
Well, guess I'd best get busy and fix dinner - Glen is due home in ... 5 minutes - OOPS!
Blessings and love to all of you!


No comments:

Here's why we're in Greece!

Here's why we're in Greece!
August 2009

The Real me!