Friday, October 16, 2009

Autumn Changes


Good morning happy campers!

This morning, I woke up thinking about fall - and change. I always used to hate it when "old"people talked about being in the autumn of their lives - eeeeeeeeeeeew what is THAT! But guess what - I am SO there! And I'm finding that I kinda like it!

When asked what my favorite season is, my reply has always been "fall" - why? Because I so love winter and fall is the trumpeter for the coming winter. Don't get me wrong, I love swimming and snorkeling in the sea - but HEAT is soooooooooo yucky! There's something "pure dee" exhilarating about the cold air freezing nostrils, the wind blowing thru clothes, the frozen toes, nose and fingers - and the SNOW - oh my goodness!

So, before I start writing a December blog, let me get back to the point. I'm headed to Abu Dhabi for a week's visit at the end of the month and so looking forward to hanging out with my girlfriends. While living in Abu Dhabi, one thing we didn't see much of was change (in the weather, I mean). Hardly ever any clouds. Rarely a drop of rain. Not much dip in the temperature. Basically, it was "same same" all the time.

Some places in this world are greeted with leaves changing color - the trumpet of fall. I've always dreamed of seeing the fall foliage tour in the northeastern part of the US. One of my Facebook friends in Pennsylvania has been posting glorious pictures of her Golden Retriever in the most dynamic colors of orange, red, gold, yellow and red leaves - fall in all its glory.
Well, here in Patras, fall seems to be upon us. The leaves are NOT the same - if anything they are more green than before. We've had 6 or so days of rain - heavy, thunder, lightening rain - and everything is soaked. I've given up trying to wash the balcony - God is doing it for me.
Now, one thing about God - HE never changes! WE change - and oh my goodness, a look in the mirror sure tells me how much "fall" my body is in! But HE never changes - the Bible says "God is the same yesterday, today and forever" and "I am the Lord; I change not." Dottie Rambo used to sing "when I need a shelter, when I need a friend, I go to the Rock." Thank goodness that Rock is always in the same place - how horrible would it be to try and find the Rock and it has moved! YA KNOW?!

When He created this world, He put in seasons - change. He knew that we (His master creation) would need things to NOT be the same all the time. HE stays the same but He gave US change - now how cool is that!

I've found that transitions are painful - don't know about you. Pregnancy - for one thing - a woman gets used to the bowling ball in her tummy - the countless trips to the loo at night - the ups and down of emotions. And then when the baby is here, oh my goodness how fun! But the transition between pregnancy and the baby is NOT FUN! Moving is another. Living in Fort Worth in our new house - hanging pictures - arranging furniture - learning the "lay of the land" to find a hairdresser, church, bank, etc. - that was fun of sorts. And doing the same thing here in Patras ... okay - this is a transition and it's not so fun at the moment. It's the transition - but it WILL be fun!

Change is good. Because GOD is good! Right now, the air outside my window is cool, the clouds are dark and ominous with the threat of yet more rain. And we're going shopping for CARPETS - the living room and dining room floors gotta have their winter clothes - ya know?

Be blessed today, knowing we have a God who cares about every tiny detail in our lives - even our need for variety and ... change!

No comments:

Here's why we're in Greece!

Here's why we're in Greece!
August 2009

The Real me!