Tuesday, August 16, 2011

BEACH DAY - from July 7 2011 (I'm a little behind)

Day #2 was BEACH DAY. We started with an activity "borrowed" from my hero Karina Baker - if you've not seen her blog at mummamadeit.blogspot.com, you're missing a treat!
Karina and her kiddos picked up flat smooth rocks on the beach. Since there's no beach even remotely close to Fort Worth, I bought a small square box at Hobby Lobby. Step one was painting the back of our mobile phone!

Caleb was VERY meticulous about his choice of colors. "GiGi, orange is my favorite color!"


While he was painting, I glued the cardboard photo of the iPhone to the top of the box.


Then we just waited for it to dry and glue the top on. He loved his phone - was playing games all the way home (said Mom Christina).




He had some fun arranging the bowling pins for a little "beach bowling" - in a cookie sheet! We added sand to our playdough and made some beach playdough.


We read a "beach book" - actually written by Tim Conway - about a little dog named Leo!


We watched Sid the Science Kid and his grandma made pancakes. So that's what WE had for lunch!


Then #1 grandson James arrived to be the teacher's aide - and we got to work making snails with our playdoh.


This is a Jaws snail, I think!


Then we painted some sea creatures on sun catchers. Caleb had an octopus!


AND we made snow cones - isn't that what's served at the beach?


On Karina's recommendation, we read "Who Sank the Boat?" And then we did lots of science - predicting what would sink and what would float.

These sank!

Last activity was painting. I had gotten these AWESOME "brushes" - foam shapes - from Michael's craft store. The artwork was AMAZING!



After Caleb left - exhausted he was but we kept him quiet! - James and I went over to the home of #2 and #3 grandsons where we stayed with them to let Mom and Dad have a movie date. Jacob thought he had a new bean bag, I'm thinking! James is my hero!




































No comments:

Here's why we're in Greece!

Here's why we're in Greece!
August 2009

The Real me!