OH BOY OH BOY OH BOY - where HAS the time gone! Not one single blog post in 2012 and here it is almost October! Need I say BUSY?!
First and foremost, after all was said and done and the weather allowed the airlines to let the boys fly, it was so close to the holidays, I suggested to Glen that maybe he should just take an early home leave and come home and get us. That he did. He arrived early December and we got to spend Christmas with our family and church - and then we flew to Cairo on the 28th (my son's birthday).
NOTHING here was as I expected and it has been a long 9 months - believe me! The water gave me a parasite or something - which led to an inflamed esophagus and damaged stomach lining. After all that, my "good" knee developed tendonitis. I've had several falls - the last of which jump started the worst urinary tract infection (UTI) I've ever had - as of today, I've had 3 different kinds of antibiotics and it is finally on the way out! One of the antibiotics caused some seriously scary side-effects which, thank God are OVER!
| In Jerusalem at the King David Citadel hotel. This is the wall of the old city behind us and a HUGE moon (which looks like a polka dot) - our first night there. |
We joined up with our Dallas church in Israel in May - a 7th anniversary prezzie to us. We got baptized in the Jordan River along with almost the entire group - and even had a marriage vow renewal on the steps of the Temple in Jerusalem! SOMEDAY I'm going to get the photos organized and posted ... someday!
| Pastors Larry and Tiz led 6 couples in renewing our marriage vows - on the steps of the temple in Jerusalem. |
One of the columns in the Kid Zone area is called "Ask the Teacher" and it is being written by my sweet daughter Tobey.
The magazine is a lot of fun AND a lot of work but I love it. I'm seriously thinking of starting up my music studio in the new year. We belong to a wonderful church - Maadi Community Church - and a life group. I attend the women's Bible study on Monday mornings and we pinch hit with the kid's ministry from time to time. I've also recently joined a women's social club called WOW (Women of the World) which gives me a perspective on what the women who don't attend our church are doing. They do lots of trips in and around Cairo - that's always fun.
I don't drive - can't drive the company car - and that has kept me tethered a lot! Taxis are cheap though and when the weather is nice (about 30 seconds a year - ha!), we love to walk. We're in a GREAT area about 8 miles from the spot downtown that's always in the news. It's safe and has LOTS of little shops. Today I got veggies at the veggie market across the street - cucumbers, tomatoes, scallions, capsicums, pomegranate seeds and bananas - LOTS - for just about $10! The people are lovely.
Since yesterday was Yom Kippur, I've been giving a lot of thought to this question: Is the world a better place because I'm in it? I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that we've been brought here to let our Light shine - we're living that "you may be the only Bible the rest of the world will ever read" on a daily basis.
And no, I have NOT seen the pyramids - okay I have seen them - they're HUGE and you can hardly drive anywhere without seeing them. But I've not been out there - it's full of hawkers trying to sell junk and I'd just rather not!
I'm on my way back to the US on 19 October for a few weeks of home leave - Glen will join in November. Can't wait to catch up with the kids and grands.
And now, I must get back to baking. Tomorrow is Friday - the virtual Sunday - and I want to get some cookies down to the offices in our building.
Love from Cairo - M and G


No comments:
Post a Comment