Sunday, March 22, 2009

OH THOSE GLORIOUS BLUEBONNETS!


Nothing like the sight of the wildflowers of Texas on the hillsides. I haven't seen our state flower - the gorgeous bluebonnet - in over 10 years. They are no respector of persons - they grow anywhere and everywhere - and no matter whether anyone takes care of them or not, they always always ALWAYS come back year after year.
<<<>>>

We had a late cold snap, followed by (and including) a deluge of rain. While we were driving to central Texas to visit Glen's mom on her birthday, I was delighted to see the bluebonnets all over the sides of the road. They don't care if it's just a roadside - they don't care it's not a proper garden - they just grow! If you readers don't know about Texas bluebonnets, google them!

I remember one road trip we took when Tobey was about 6 years old - we drove down to South Texas just as the bluebonnets were almost finished. We passed a field that was just COVERED in bluebonnets. I stopped the car and we literally tossed Tobey out in the field and took her picture. I don't know what happened to the picture, but the memory will never leave.

Another memory is the brilliant display of bluebonnets, Indian paintbrushes, pinks and black-eyed Susans on the hillsides between Comfort and Kerrville, Texas. We were driving on Interstate 10 to attend the memorial service for my son Jeremy in April of 1977 - and the flowers were showing us their glory. Jeremy loved the flowers and was broken hearted always that he couldn't pick em (hey there's a stiff fine waiting for anyone daring to pick Texas wildflowers). What a comfort to a mother's heart to see this display of glorious color for her son's graduation to heaven!

We're all done with physicals now and just waiting for the powers that be to tell us when they will pack our belongings and book our tickets! The tentative (and it is VERY tentative), date is somewhere between 20 and 22 April. The first planes are due to be delivered 15 May so the guys are going to be very busy from their arrival to the planes' arrival. Glen says we'll be celebrating our anniversary later - but better late than never, right?

Guess I'd better go fix us some dinner. I'm working on re-membering my Greek recipes!

Kalispera!

No comments:

Here's why we're in Greece!

Here's why we're in Greece!
August 2009

The Real me!