Well, here we are - already in November! This is the COVER! And at this moment, the book is in layout design. I have approved the font, the typeset, the color of paper and the size. All that is left is to get the back and spine matter on and then they will print up a dummy copy to send to me. I have one more chance to check for typos and then it's off to PRINT! After all these years - I still can't believe it! HOPEFULLY, some of you will ask your church bookstores to put the book in - and if it's somewhere in Abu Dhabi, Tulsa, Oklahoma City or Dallas/Fort Worth (or Corpus or San Marcos or ...) I'll come do a book signing! We just have to coordinate it with our homeleave! I have an ISBN number already so it shouldn't be long before there's a waiting list on amazon.com - whoo hoo!There's not much more gratifying than knowing the smile on a child's face is because of something I did. I absolutely HATE this gypsy culture here which just keeps reproducing and teaching their children to be dirty beggars. I refuse to give money to them - no matter how pitiful - because I know that the money goes right in the pockets of the parents and is not used to make a better life for the children. My sweet friend Miki took a little gypsy accordianist into an ice cream shop in Athens (Miki speaks beautiful Greek) and that gave me an idea. As soon as I can figure out how to do it, I want TONS of tootsie roll pops - but for now, I'm just using the lollies I can buy locally. I loaded up my backpack early on but not one little kid came near me - go figure.
Today, Glen and I were on the plateia (big "square") having coffee and I saw a couple of little ones approaching. It's always ALWAYS the same - a grimy little hand comes out and a squeaky voice begs for "ena evro" (one euro). I said "no money - how about a sweet?" The BIGGEST smile. Suddenly there were 3 little girls and then little brother came. He says "wha's your name?" I said "GiGi - wha's yours?" "Anton," says he. Then he turned to Glen and asked the same. Glen said "Poppy" which made them all raise their eyebrows. I said "papou and yiayia" (grandpa and grandma in Greek) and they all giggled. "Bye GiGi!" they shouted - and we left dozens of coffee drinking Greeks wide mouthed in surprise.
We did some more shopping and then headed for the car. Around the corner came a little band of beggars. The oldest girl recognized us and an extra one came running for a sweet. I had 4 more but not enough to give everyone a second so I told them I was out. This new little girl threw her arms around me and said "How about a cuddle!" Now I'm loading up more lollies for the next time - I LIKE THIS GAME! Hey - the Bible says a little child shall lead them - their English is about as good as my Greek but they are CHILDREN!
Just got back from a whirlwind week in Abu Dhabi. I stayed 3 nights with Chris and Ian (and they are still speaking to me - surprise) and 4 with Wilma and Sunil. We shopped, ate, giggled, talked and played - it was GLORIOUS! Bless my sweet husband for giving me this early birthday prezzie.

We finally finally got our Vonage telephone back working - so we're in contact with our children - that makes us VERY happy! We've talked to Caleb and Christina, Elizabeth and Glen's dad already - Tobey will phone this afternoon. Any of you in the US, e-mail and I'll send you the number.
Tomorrow is church and I already have 96 peanut butter cookies ready. I'm taking Christmas music to start teaching the little ones a song for church. And we're going out to lunch with Pastor Rick, Lori, Zsolti and Miki - life is good!
Love you all - M
No comments:
Post a Comment