We woke up bright and early to a day without rain - HALLELUIAH! Glen always fasts on Fridays for Shabbat so we went down to breakfast and he watched me fill my pockets with boiled eggs, bread and fruit (for my lunch) and then lovingly sat with me while I ate my poached egg, hard roll and cheese. They do have YUMMY yogurt and honey - but I felt that might be "pushing the fast" so I didn't indulge!
He took off for work and I came to the room to get ready for Kseni to come and clean. Put the boys out on the balcony - temperature about 65 F and sunny - and then I came in to wait. We had SUCH a grand chat. She's just a lovely lady. She went to Australia when whe was 5 years old (with her parents) and stayed 6 years. She still has wonderful English in spite of only being able to practice when she's at work in the hotel.
She told me that her family used to own a hardware store - it went bankrupt 3 years ago when the downturn started here - they lost one of their houses and she says the bank is trying to take the one they live in. She's been on the housekeeping staff for just over a year and a half. I'd guess she's early to mid 40's because she told me that jobs were hard to come by for people in the 40-50 age bracket.
We had a long chat - she could have cleaned 5 rooms in the time she spent here. We talked about Greece - Egypt - economies - food - laying a grand foundation. She told me if we stay longer, she'll take us to her home and show us their farm, meet the parents, etc. AND she's bringing me a recipe for (remember the Waltons and "the recipe?") a drink they make with sour cherries and cognac - they make it in summer so it will be ready for the cold winters! Hopefully this will be like tendura - the famous Patras after-dinner drink that is SO yummy (cinnamon, nutmeg spices).
Glen came home and we went into town to pick up our health certificates for the boys. NOW we're all ready to fly - when the "coast is clear"- hopefully sooner than later.
And so - while Glen's in the mini-gym, I'm getting candles ready to light for Shabbat. Sending love, joy and PEACE to you and yours! ♥
No comments:
Post a Comment